Thursday, June 10, 2010

Rich Dark Chocolate Cake.


I am back to browsing through my Good Housekeeping magazines. This particular recipe caught my eye, because the ingredients didn't look like the usual ones we use. This recipe does not use any flour at all. I was curious to try it out and see the outcome. I followed the ingredients in the recipe to the T with an alteration in the baking time .....

Ingredients :

  • 8 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp coffee powder
  • 12 tbsp water
  • 1 and a half tsp vanilla or rum essence ( I used rum)
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 4 slices slightly stale bread
  • 1 cup almonds
  • 200 gm butter preferably white
  • 300 gms sugar
  • 8 eggs seperated

Method :
  1. Mix together the cocoa, coffee, water, essence and cinnamon powder. Stir to a smooth mixture. Set aside.
  2. Process the bread to fine crumbs in a grinder or mixer. Pour some boiling water over the almonds and slip off their skins. Process to fine crumbs as well but seperately.
  3. In a bowl beat the butter and sugar till fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time. Add the powdered almonds and chocolate mixture. Stir in the breadcrumbs.
  4. Beat the egg whites till they form soft peaks. Fold into the cake mixture.
  5. Grease and line a large 14 inch cake or two smaller ones.(I used a large round tin)
  6. Bake in an oven preheated to 160 degrees. Bake at 40 minutes or till done. The smaller cakes take less time.( This is where I made the change. I baked a good hour and a half since the centre of the cake was still undone after an hour too).
  7. Before serving, pile on ice cream attractively at the top.
  8. You may also add some chopped fresh or tinned fruit.
  9. If you prefer, substitute the ice cream with fresh, whipped cream.
  10. For an exotic touch, drizzle over some of your favourite liqueur - coffee flavour goes wonderfully          ( Thats what I did, I used cherry liqueur, though the kids preferred to have it as it is.)

 Note : The batter turns out to  be quite liquidish, so I was wondering if it would finally turn out to be a cake. I was relieved it did and it turned out to be one of the moistest cakes I had ever made.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This looks so gorgeous!! I am bookmarking this one & will try it in Jan when Im back from Mlore..i donno how i missed this one in June!!

    ReplyDelete